Monday, June 13, 2011

Buenos Aires 4 - Troy

Readers of the blog will be happy to know that Tim will hopefully be posting tomorrow or the day after from San Pedro de Atacama (I certainly am).

In the meantime I will fill in further details of my delayed travels.

After my failed attempt to leave on Friday, I tried to find a replacement cable, though that's easier said than done in a city as big as BA. It's not a normal thing to break (actually I think it pretty much never happens). I found a place that said they may be able to get one by Monday...

So I'm still here, I haven't posted any photos of BA cos Tim will do them much better, so I'll tell another side story, this one is titled; steak...

I have mentioned before that I now consider the steaks I've had here as the best in the world... well... as with it's landscapes, this country has done it to me again.

The long story: I had actually managed to put on weight before I left Salta (a rare thing for me), thanks mostly to having a beautiful girl to dine with. I have been cheap-skating since then, and the process of camping and cooking my own meals has meant that my jeans, which were tight in Salta, were falling off by Buenos Aires... actually falling off... I ended up using one of my tie down straps to hold them up for my 1st day here (actually all week cos I've been too cheap to buy a belt)!!!

So I have been on a concentrated regime of trying to eat as much as possible... though cheaply. I head to the supermarkets at close to 11 am when their cooked food area starts serving (ie empanadas), and have found a few nice restaurants to get daily specials.

This has been adequate but after the catastrophe of Friday I ended up needing some solace so I found a nice restaurant on the main street, ordered from the expensive menu and watched the beautiful women of BA walk by (that's another story... wow). The joy of eating here is you get a heap of warm up dishes such as olives breads antipasto...

Then the meat comes out, and it's bigger than your head, you could cut it with a bread knife, and the taste will bring tears to your eyes (in fact I think I did tear up, but pretended it was smog). To make matters worse as I'm drooling gravy down my chin, moaning like a demented freak, picking meat from my teeth with a toothpick and dressed like a derelict... four incredibly well dressed and... well dressed girls grab the table next to mine.

I discreetly wiped the food from my beard (which I had been saving for Ron (ie later Ron)), sat up straight in my chair and pretended to be a restaurant critic for "The Big Issue"...

Anyways if you are into food, then put this place on your bucket list, the meat in Argentina is only to be tasted to be believed!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh come on Troy......the beef can't be better than Alberta Beef in Tim's home town of Calgary!!!!!

    Too bad Neal's Spot wasn't on or he could have tracked the thief!!!! That would certainly be depressing having all that important information stolen. Hope he makes out all right.

    Troy and Tim, thanks for allowing us all to live your adventure along with you though the blogs. Look forward every day at work to check the blog for updates. In fact, I even started looking into getting an adventure bike for myself......and of course taking the riding lessons.

    So Troy, tell me more about those women of BA!!!! LOL

    Stay safe!!!!

    The Stalker.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stalker.

    Thanks for your comment mate, sometimes it feels like only our mothers are reading.

    I answered your questions as best I could, though as for the beef of Calgary, I can't say cos I haven't been there (though having met Tim I will one day (I'd really like to meet his parents)).

    As for buying a bike and touring... DO IT!!!

    Both Tim and I have met so many cool travellers, had life changing experiences and adventures, became best mates and met the girl of our dreams...

    Need I say more...

    ReplyDelete